Study in Singapore : Tips for Malaysians


Hi guys! My name is Woon Kun Kuan, 21st this year and currently a Diploma graduate from Ngee Ann PolyTechnic, Singapore since February 2013. I am sure that some of you may have confusion on what actually is a polytechnic. Basically it is more or less the same as colleges in Malaysia but in Singapore their colleges are all being called Polytechnic, which offer several types of courses. There are total 5 polytechnics in Singapore, they are Nanyang Polytechnic, Singapore Polytechnic, Temasek Polytechnic, Republic Polytechnic & Ngee Ann Polytechnic which each is good with certain courses. My school, Ngee Ann Polytechnic has been famous with Business & Accountancy course among all 5 polytechnics in Singapore over the past 20 years. Nevertheless, Ngee Ann also offers courses such as Design & Environment, Engineering, Film & Media Studies, Health Sciences, etc. I studied in Ngee Ann Polytechnic's School of Engineering and have completed my diploma in Aerospace Technology (Aircraft Engineering) majored in mechanical engineering. It has been my dream to be able to repair and even sign to permit an aircraft to fly in the air in the future.



my graduation photos.

1. Requirements to Enter Polytechnics in Singapore after SPM

I am pretty sure that when you hear about education in Singapore you will think that you are going to have hard time matching up with their level. Clear that misconception away from your mind please! I am telling you now that the concepts we have towards their education are not true. It is not that you must score straight A's to be able qualify yourself into polytechnics. For instance, if you are interested in Engineering courses such as Marine Offshore or Mechanical Engineering, you have to at least score A in calculation subjects such as Physics, Addmaths, Mathematics. It is exactly the same theory applies to course like Business & Accountancy. You must be able to score A in those related SPM subjects for example Accounting, Economics, etc. Not forgetting, your local and Cambridge result of SPM English paper is the deciding factor whether you get selected or not. Of course scoring A in English paper will certainly increase your chance to be selected by any of the polytechnics because if you are not good in speaking and writing in English you are going to struggle a lot to communicate with other people all around not to mention your studies. However, if your English result does not meet the requirement, not to worry, you can still try your luck to apply for the course that you want. If you are fortunate enough to be selected, you may be asked to only sit for an English paper. Pass it and you get it, that is simple enough isn't it? Haha not wanting to show off here but I have got total of 9 A's in SPM as you can see below. I know this result is not really good but ya, I qualify myself into Aerospace Technology in Ngee Ann Polytechnic so who cares? Look at my SPM result, whatever Singaporeans can do, I can do too, or do even better. Do not be surprise that I got a graduating GPA of 3.74 out of 4.00 at the end of my diploma and my result is top 10 in my class. My advice to you: Score as many A's as possible in SPM because you would not know what is your limit until you try it out! If you are selected, you are not required to attend any interviews.


2. How to apply for Singapore Polytechnics?
After SPM result slip is released to you in March, do not rest too long but go on to apply for a slot in any of the polytechnics in Singapore through Joint Polytechnic Admissions Exercise because the application will be closed very soon at the end of March. You can just type 'JPAE' in google and then click into the first link that you see. Follow the instructions given and fill up all of your personal information required in the education website to complete your application. Before you choose the course that you want, you will be lead to another page/PDF so that you can look through the preview and clear details of each course in each polytechnic in order to have a clearer sight on what course and which polytechnic do you really want study at therefore you would not have a chance to make a wrong decision. For example, before I chose to study Aerospace Technology, I discovered that Singapore Polytechnic and Ngee Ann Polytechnic are both offering Aerospace diploma program and it made me having hard time to decide which to choose. After analyzing and comparing the course previews of these two polytechnics I soon notice that the aerospace diploma course offered by Singapore Polytechnic is more towards aircraft electronics while Ngee Ann's Aerospace Technology course is more toward mechanical which is what I want to do in the future. Isn't the system awesome? Believe it or not Singapore's education system is so advanced that everything can be done online without you needing to travel to there to inquire those question marks in your mind. Besides that, throughout the application process, you will be allowed to rank the course that you want to study and the polytechnic you want to be in. Take note that it is not that you will be guaranteed to study the course which you rank the first because it is still depends on whether you score up to their requirements in SPM or not.


3. Scholarship and Tuition Grant
Some other concerns of Malaysian students who wish to study in Singapore are the cost of living and school fees. So I hereby bring a good news to you which is ALL foreign students study in Singapore will get a 75% subsidiary of total school fees from Singapore government. But you will have to sign a three-years-bond with Singapore government hence after graduate from diploma or degree you have to work in Singapore for three years. Throughout my three years in Ngee Ann Polytechnic I have paid an average of 2500++ dollars for each semester. There are total six semester so I have paid a total of 15k++ dollars for my diploma. Take note that the living, accommodation, food and transportation cost is not included in the 15k dollars. Of course you may choose not to sign the bond if your family can afford to support your school fees. But why not? Working three year in Singapore is not a bad option after all right? You get to enhance your resume content and working experience not to mention the amount of salary that you are getting in that three years!

In short, studying in Singapore is really a good choice as they have awesomely good facilities, environment, technologies, transportation and many more things to turn you into a better man/woman. In Ngee Ann Polytechnic School of Engineering, we are provided with an aircraft hangar with real commercial and fighter airplanes, dismantled landing gears, aircraft piston as well as turbine engines for you to touch and have practical classes. 

Picture of me and classmates standing on top of a helicopter in our hangar.


Me sitting inside a real fighter jet donated by Singapore Air Force.

Throughout my three years in Singapore, without me noticing I have turned from a shy guy which can not even speak English to an independent and sociable guy which is now able to speak and write fluent English. So what are you waiting for? Apply now or never! Sincerely wish you all good luck and all the best! Thank you. :)

Regards,
Woon Kun Kuan
kunkuan.woon@gmail.com


Posts which you may like:

Share on Google Plus

28 comments:

  1. They seem good, reliable colleges, that offer quality preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thx for ur info! they r useful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to ask about the Accomodation of college, isit the NYP has not offer the accomodation ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am regret to tell you that none of the 5 polytechnics mentioned above provide accommodations so you would have to look for yourself。

      Delete
  4. Hi there, thanks for your experience sharing. Aeronautical engineering courses is exactly what I'm looking for, especially in Singapore.

    Well, there are few questions here and I hope you can answer them for me:
    1. Can I apply it by using my forecast result instead of real SPM result? (As I am a 2013 SPM candidate)
    2. Is Aerospace a specialized branch of mechanical engineering? If so, should I take mechanical engineering course before aerospace?
    3. Is there any other Bonds available which provides living allowances? (I heard some of my friends who are taking nursing course have their 5-Years Bond one with living allowances provided)
    4. The "3-Years Bond" is working for Singapore Airlines right?

    Thanks for your consideration and hope that you will reply as soon as possible. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi it's my pleasure.

      1. It is advisable that you use your real spm results to apply. You may be worrying about applying late in March after spm result releasing date may cause you to be considered later than those early birds but this is not true. Singapore 's education is fair to everyone. As long as you are good they will take you so no worries. :D

      2. Aerospace can be considered as a specalized branch of mechanical engineering. If you really like aerospace stuff you should go to aerospace path instead of mechanical engineering because basically in 3 years diploma life the things that you will be learning are about the same except that in aerospace diploma you get to learn aerospace stuffs. Tell you what, in Singapore, an aerospace diploma cert is more valuable than mechanical diploma cert. Like my case now, I have aerospace diploma cert but now I am doing mechanical engineering degree in Nanyang Technological Uni. The thing is no matter which path you take, in the end you still can change into the other path as you like with certain circumstances.

      3. Ya it exists but you have to look for it and apply yourself.

      4. Sad to tell you that the 3-years bond is nothing but you find job yourself. Working in MCdonald is also considered serving their country. But not to worry, in your final year of diploma you will be doing internship in aerospace company. If you are happy with your internship company you can apply to extend your internship and they will be happy to take you in. Like myself my boss wanted me to extend internship but I rejected him because of personal issues.

      Hope I answered your doubts. Feel free to ask me more. See ya!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply and advises and you really helped me a lot by solving all my major doubts. :D
      Just two more things to ask:

      1. Is the internship in the final year included in completing 3-years bond for serving the country?

      2. Is part-time working allowed while having diploma course which subsidized by Singapore government?

      Thanks again. :D

      Delete
    3. Opps, sorry but there's one more, the 3-years bond should be applied online or somewhere else?? thx

      Delete
    4. Hi Alvin,

      1. Internship is not considered as serving bond. It is just a program for you to complete your diploma. You will be guided along how to serve the bond in the final semester before you leave school (graduate).

      2. You are actually not suppose to work because your visa only allows you to study. However you still can find part time job around. Some employers are very willing to hire you while some dont because of worrying they might get into trouble hiring you. I have friend who work part time here anyways. :)

      3. I dont quite get your question. You mean how to prove that you are serving the bond/completed the bond?

      Thanks.

      Delete
    5. Hi Mr. Saimun, me again, thanks for your replies again. :)

      Actually the biggest problem I'm facing now is how to apply the 3-years bond. (The third question I mentioned above). Recently, I've searched some stuffs about Tuition Grant Subsidy(TGIS) by Singapore Government and I'm not sure whether is it the 3-years bond or 75% subsidiary you mentioned in the article. I may need some helps from you to understand more about the procedures in applying the 3-years bond. (As TGIS I found requires student card number which I don't have one and TGIS have to be applied on May, which is 1 months later than commencement date of all polytechnics. Besides, I would like to know whether TGIS I found is the 75% subsidiary in your article above?)

      Hope you will give me some help in applying the 75% subsidiary. Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Hi there, thanks for your experience-sharing.
    Aeronautical engineering course is exactly what I'm looking for, especially in Singapore.
    Here's a few doubts of me, and I hope you can answer them all for me.

    1. Can I apply polytechnics by using my forecast result instead of my real SPM result?(My SPM result is not been released yet)
    2. Is Aerospace likely a specialized branch of mechanical engineering? If so, is mechanical engineering course compulsory for those who goes for aerospace?
    3. Is there any other bond available for aerospace engineering, instead of 3-Years Bond which living allowances are included? (As my sister got her 5-Years Bond, yet her nursing diploma fee and living allowances are both provided)

    Thanks for your consideration and hope that you will reply as soon as possible. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, thanks for your experience-sharing.
    Aeronautical engineering course is exactly what I'm looking for, especially in Singapore.
    Here's a few doubts of me, and I hope you can answer them all for me.

    1. Can I apply polytechnics by using my forecast result instead of my real SPM result?(My SPM result is not been released yet)
    2. Is Aerospace likely a specialized branch of mechanical engineering? If so, is mechanical engineering course compulsory for those who goes for aerospace?
    3. Is there any other bond available for aerospace engineering, instead of 3-Years Bond which living allowances are included? (As my sister got her 5-Years Bond, yet her nursing diploma fee and living allowances are both provided)

    Thanks for your consideration and hope that you will reply as soon as possible. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. If I were to graduate diploma in any polytechnic. how can i do degree ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good afternoon, I missed it this year. Can I use my SPM results ( 2013 candidate ) in the next intake next year?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about for STPM student? Do we continue in Diploma or Degree?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! Do you mean that we still have to pay $2500 each semester after subsidiary of 75% by the government of Singapore? Is there any loan to apply like PTPTN in Malaysia out there? Hope you will reply me asap :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! Looking for a game designing institute which can provide degree and diploma courses. Please let me know if this college provides these courses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. May I knw whether u pay the tuition fees required by singapore citizen or international students (After tuition grant) ? Is it scholarship or just just tuition grant scheme? Thanks for helping in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. May I knw whether u pay the tuition fees under singapore citizen or international students (after tuition grant)? Is it a scholarship or just tuition grant scheme? Thanks for helping in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I apply for engineering course if I get B+ for physic in spm.. I really want it so badly!T.T regret that I did not study hard for physic in spm :'(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, can I apply to Singapore's polytechnics by using stpm results even I didn't do well in spm. I got 1A- for math only in spm, the rest just pass with credits(1A- 4B 3C+ 2C) English 1119, C±/7D. But years later, I took stpm and did pretty well for it (4A 4flats).I sat spm in 2010 but sat stpm in 2015. There's a big gap of year between the two major government exams.So does my horrible spm results affect me eventhough I done well in stpm. I took muet exam too and got a muet score of 213(High Band 4). So what's my chance of gaining admission for my case ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bro .. now i am studying at Utm... It's a Malaysia university. So can i continue my degree in Singaore ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi my name is collin
    your information on this matter is very useful for malaysians
    what i would like to ask is i didnt do my spm but i have a diploma in skm (skill kemahiran malaysia) computer system, is there a university in singapore that recognise diploma level, why i ask this is because i skip my spm and straight went to vocational college, what would be requirement to do degree in singapore
    waiting for your responce
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is the 15k dollar for those who receives tuition grant or for those who does not receive tuition grant ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I continue degree at Singapore after finished my form6 (pre-university) at Malaysia ?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fascinating experienced! Writing you own personal statement may be hard. This website
    https://singapore.writemyessay.biz/writing-a-personal-statement-for-an-application-abroad that to see how experts writers can help you with it. Check them now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. my spm english 1119 did badly scored 6c, is there any entrance test for english paper to enter poly ??

    ReplyDelete